Thursday 11 November 2010

Whoopee – a second contract

I have a business friend who knows my work, both as a product designer and as a technical writer. He is working for an innovative startup and has asked me to help design their products and produce documentation. This is not a large contract (though it should be) as they are seriously cash-strapped, but the work is really interesting. Refreshingly, the contract was a simple 1-pager. So now I am theoretically busy 25% of the working week, though I can see this creeping up to much more.
Now I am worried about the 3rd contract – seriously worried. This is with the company that was sold off and they know the quality of my work. I provided a detailed proposal for the contract and was told that it was enthusiastically received, and then silence. This is a contract, for technical writing, with a European company. It would be for 100+ hours a month (rounding up my work week very nicely if it isn’t too large). I asked a friend in that country to find the going hourly rate and then I lowered it a bit (see the post on how to charge). Maybe I overpriced myself? But why don’t they come back and negotiate with me? Agonizing questions. How often can I bother them and ask them what’s happening?

No comments:

Post a Comment