Sunday 14 November 2010

Finally working

Once all the formalities were out of the way I could start working – thank goodness. Where did all this equanimity (that I hope you have felt in previous blog entries) come from? The last time I was unemployed (ten years ago) I was in quite a state. I have been mulling over this and have come to the conclusion, that it is because I knew that I had excellent chances of landing three contracts that would fill my time. Even though I have yet to conclude the third one, I have been mostly positive about it during the last month or so. Also the excitement of getting everything ready and the novelty of ‘being on holiday’ contributed. I guess that this is unfair – me taking a giant step in a new direction, but with some sort of safety net.
Let me make a small diversion. My father came from a rich family in Germany and he was the black sheep and instead of university was sent to train to become a plumber. That saved his life; because he was a plumber he was allocated a treasured ‘certificate’ by the British and escaped Nazi Germany at the last moment.
Ten years ago I had been recommended to train as a technical writer – to become a sort of plumber. This enabled me to find the job I held for the last eight years, and also to feel confident that I could go it alone. There are many firms who need technical writing and cannot afford, or do not need, someone full time. Obviously the large organizations have a team of writers, but I have never worked for such a company. So I really need to thank that lady way back then, from the unemployment agency, for enabling this.
Having said all that, my first love is product design. I love watching a client to see what they actually do to complete their mission, listen to them explain their needs, basically elicit requirements. Then comes the analysis and finally the design. I say finally, but it doesn’t stop there; I then work with developers to ensure we get a quality product. This sounds waterfall, but it is easier to explain the way I worked until quite recently when we went Agile.
But product design (as I have decided to brand this – amongst a wealth of available titles) is a more problematic career – both in getting a job and freelancing. I have been very lucky to have been offered a small contract where I can do this – at least in a small measure.
But let’s get back to when I actually started working again at the beginning of the month. There was a lot to catch up on with my old company – a patch needed to be released and there was ongoing work with the next major release. I was quickly brought up-to-date with the requirements and got going. I work mostly from home, using e-mail and the occasional call to understand the requirements and have my work reviewed. I visit the office every so often to move source files to the server - I cannot send RoboHelp projects over the Internet.
I needed to copy and update an old document to one of the company’s templates, and realized that I hadn’t brought them home. They were sent to me in a zip file, which made me realize that I needed to download WinZip. My other company wanted me to write a user guide for a wonderful desk-top product (that I wish I had designed J); so I needed SnagIt. I wonder what else I have forgotten to buy.
I caught up quite quickly and now the work is more sporadic. The contracts are for about 8 hours work a week for each, but this is an average - so it can be less most weeks, and then much more immediately before a release. I should be enjoying the rest, but I feel bothered when there are days with nothing to do. Some days I work 6 or 7 hours, and then there are others with hardly anything. I could read, but I am missing the internal quiet I need to enjoy this. If I get the European contract I will be so busy that I know that I will long for this period of calm. Am I never satisfied? I am exaggerating a bit and enjoy my new-found freedom, but the fact is that I cannot read a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment