Friday 12 November 2010

Accoutrements (Paperwork and Website)

So now I provide a service to two local companies. I have designed a spreadsheet where I can register each day that I work – the exact hours and minutes, and a description of the work done. The spreadsheet calculates the total and the VAT, and that will go to the bookkeeper in each company.
In addition, I found a printing house relatively close by and, via e-mail, closed the details on what should be printed on the official invoice cum receipt. For Israeli companies, where I charge VAT, this needs to be a printed booklet, each invoice numbered and with all my details. I picked them up on October 31st and now feel that I am truly self-employed. That was the last item on my to-do list – except of course actually working.
I spent hours researching web sites that offered the types of services I want to offer, to see what messages they were providing, what seemed to work visually, and what didn’t. I tried to make sense of it all and think about the message I wanted to convey and how to differentiate myself.
And then I started thinking. If I get the three contracts I am aiming for, I won’t have time for small projects on the side, and am not yet ready to hire others, so why do I need to promote myself? So there you have it, I stopped working on the website, and only if the European contract falls through will I continue with this project.
What I did do was add a byline to my e-mail signature “Helping organizations design and document excellent products”. I also updated my LinkedIn profile, and now I have this blog…

No comments:

Post a Comment