Tuesday 9 November 2010

My Adobe experience

The firm where I bought the Adobe products deducted the money up-front, so I was sure that they were on the way, especially as the lady who took my order said that I would receive them Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week. But when they didn’t show up I was told that they hadn’t yet arrived in the country. SO WHY DID YOU DEDUCT THE MONEY?
Finally Acrobat arrived and I tried to install it, but failed dismally. The technical person I was referred to thought I was a female moron, but finally understood that there was a problem with the CD, and a new copy was dispatched the following day. That did install cleanly. Now, I installed it on Windows 7, where I have MS Office 2010 installed. I then tried to PDF a test document and Word constantly crashed. I posted a question on the Adobe user forum and was warned that Acrobat 9 only works with MS 2007, which luckily I had installed on my virtual XP environment (for RoboHelp); so I uninstalled Acrobat from 7 and reinstalled it in XP. Now it works!
But, I was told (by the forum) that I needed to check and download updates. I couldn’t get this to work until I figured out that I was too far from my router (that will be another topic). I moved the laptop to be next to the router and succeeded in downloading all the heavy updates.
A few days later RoboHelp arrived. I knew that I had a problem with Windows 7 and MS Office 2010, so I installed it directly to the XP environment. This was a better experience and I also managed to download the updates (again by moving the laptop). But a test compilation was agonizingly slow. I realized that I would need to copy all my RoboHelp projects (and I have many) to the XP environment if I wanted it to work at an acceptable speed.
So these are my teething problems, and I managed to sort everything out with one week to spare. Now I am ready to open shop and create PDF files and online helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment